What is Barcode Scanning Software?
Barcodes are everywhere—and they’ve been around for decades because they are so useful. Barcode scanning software reads the black and white patterns, and then translates it into data.
Barcode scanning software is one of the simplest, yet overlooked, methods for data input and gathering. It can work with traditional barcodes, or the newer QR codes.
In the maintenance field, barcode data can be almost anything: stock management, inventory and parts, assets, time calculations, and much more. This data is then retrieved via a computer database, like CMMS software.
MPulse customers use our CMMS software and barcodes for a variety of things—from tracking employee time to managing inventory to streamlining the check in/check out process of tools, keys, and vehicles.
Benefits of Barcode Scanning Software
Maintenance professionals are sometimes surprised at how easily barcodes fit with their workflows.
The benefits of barcode maintenance software include…
- Flexibility. You can use barcodes for any type of data collection. One of the most frequent is inventory or stock management. But your team can use barcodes for outgoing shipments, repair times, equipment, and much more.
- Easy to implement. You need a printer, software, and a scanner. Then it takes just minutes to train employees how to use them. Plus, barcode scanners and mobile devices easily transmit data wirelessly, so it’s ready immediately.
- Eliminates human error. Barcodes significantly reduce human error by removing data input mistakes. With accurate and easily accessible data, you’ll have the information you need to make the right decisions.
- Saves time. Scanning a barcode takes seconds. Scan the part. Scan the asset. That’s how long it takes to link inventory to a new or existing work order record. This system also lets you enter inventory items as they arrive and automatically track who is performing work.
Features of Barcode Scanning Software
Maintenance data is one of your most important assets. Barcode scanning software makes it faster and easier to document and find the data you need to make essential decisions for your organization.
A barcode scanning system is easy to implement with MPulse Software’s CMMS solutions. MPulse barcode scanning software can…
- Print barcodes that are easily read by commonly available devices—including smartphones, tablets, and barcode scanners.
- Enable your maintenance team to scan a barcode to quickly record or find data in your CMMS software
- Transmit data to your MPulse software from barcode scanners and mobile devices
- Streamline the purchasing and receiving process
Barcode Scanning for Mobile
You can easily set up barcode labels that can be read by commonly available mobile devices—including smartphones, tablets, and barcode scanners. These mobile devices can easily transmit data wirelessly. Improved security features mean you can safely control access to your data, even when you aren’t in the office.
What’s more, maintenance personnel can use a smartphone, tablet, or barcode scanner to input data into any CMMS field. Your maintenance staff also can use their barcodes and their mobile device to find data in our system-wide search.
App for Mobile to Streamline Processes
MPulse Mobile is an add-on feature available for any MPulse edition. Technicians simply enter their usual account information to log in and…
- Find and link inventory using barcodes
- Report problems in the field
- Capture data when and where it happens
- Document work with pictures and videos
- Receive and update work assigned to you
- Complete work orders with all required data
- Track hours worked with activity timer
- Work offline with seamless background synchronization
Who uses MPulse’s Barcode Maintenance Software
MPulse serves virtually every industry imaginable. We like to say, with a wink, “We only serve companies who work in buildings or make something.”
Our CMMS software has served more than 2,700 customers since 1995, helping them keep facilities operating at peak efficiency and manufacturing assets working at maximum productivity.
MPulse is designed to grow with any size business, from small organizations with one or two maintenance technicians to global enterprises with locations around the world.
Our customers include a long list of household names like Verizon, Rolex, General Dynamics, Fender Guitars, Toyota, and Siemens. MPulse customers are located across all 50 U.S. states and in 22 additional countries around the world, on every continent … including a research station in Antarctica!